Thursday, October 2, 2008

Music For The Masses

I'm in a little trouble. I think.

I've done more unpacking (hey, I don't care if I've been in my new home for nearly 3 months - I will unpack as I feel like it. Okay, perhaps I'm just procrastinating - do you blame me?)

I unearthed a small container of my favourite cd's a few weeks ago. My absolute favourites that I play all the time. A little Ella Fitzgerald, Van Morrison, Pearl Jam, Nickelback and quite a few compilations. I was rather pleased because now I had something to listen to (there doesn't seem to be any radio down here except triple j - I can only take triple j in small doses. Generally the drive to work and that's it).

Anyway, I found a huge, and I mean HUGE, box of more cd's the other day. And I was rather frightened. How much many have I spent on cd's over the years. I seriously don't remember buying half of these things. And what's worse, I probably only listened to them once and bought them for one song on an entire album. Since the advent of itunes, I have been able to significantly reduce my cd spendage but I don't know what to do with the ones I don't listen to. I should start putting them onto itunes I guess but do I try to sell some off? I just don't know.

One other thing that came flooding back while going through the cd's. I can't believe how many memories are triggered by certain songs. So, if for entertainment purposes only, here are the songs that played a huge part in my life.
  • My first ever cd that I got (a birthday present) - New Kids on the Block
  • The first ever cd that I bought - an early nineties compilation. I still love popping it into my stereo every now and again. I still feel like I'm 13 when I listen to it.
  • Kriss-Kross - Jump : My first ever high school dance
  • Bryan Adams - Please Forgive Me : My first ever slow dance with a boy (awwww), my first ever kiss (double awww and yes, it was with the same boy) and what started my love affair with Bryan Adams. Incidently Bryan Adams was also the first ever concert I went to see. Still in my top 3 favourite concerts as well.
  • The Rembrandts - Friends theme song : The year I graduated high school and Friends was a huge thing at school. I loved Friends then and still do now. The theme song from the show was our theme song for our graduation as well. I can't believe that was 12 years ago now!
  • Chumbawamba - Tubthumping : The year I turned 18 and officially became an adult. My first time out clubbing this was the first song I actually danced to. Still not sure how on earth we danced to that song.
  • UB40 - Red Red Wine : Played at one of my favourite pubs on a particularly great night out with a huge group of friends. Sadly the pub burnt down a few months ago but I still love UB40, some 10 years later
  • Backstreet Boys - My first and last serious boyfriend gave me one of their cd singles. I still wish I didn't associate BSB with that idiot.
  • Robbie Williams : I went through a big Robbie phase when I got my first proper, grown-up job. This was also when I turned 21. It was also the same year I travelled to the US for the first time (ah, my home away from home).
  • Nickelback : My first "grown-up" concert
  • Dido - Life For Rent : I kept listening to this song whenever I wanted to back out of the big move to Tassie or when I have second thoughts about doing things. This is my motivational song.
  • Jason Mraz - I'm Yours : My new favourite song. I hope that one day I meet someone who I feel like I'm theirs! Barry Watson, are you free???

I am also finding new artists all the time that I fall in love with.... Jason Mraz, Ida Maria, Demi Lovato.

Any suggestions for a new favourite???

1 comment:

taawd said...

i am listening to Jamie Lidell - "Another Day". it's poppy and upbeat.

youtube Jason Mraz online and check out the different versions of it covered by different people. i like the Filipino brother and sister duo and the high school choir.

he's coming to my town in November and I'm going to see him in concert. it should be fun.

i, too, have too many cd's. i need to put them up for sale or start trading them in, oh, the money i've spent!!

final thought, i hate the associations that go with songs. i have a favorite song that i can no longer listen to because of the memories. hopefully someday i can reclaim it.