Monday, August 11, 2008

Bread crusts will make your hair curly (and other lies my mother/grandmother told me!!!)

I've just started to put dinner on, and while cleaning up the brussel sprouts to put in the pot (yes, I do eat sprouts - I love sprouts!) and I started to think about what my mum and nanna used to tell me and my brother to get us to eat certain foods.

1) Eating your bread crusts will give you curly hair (ummmm, yes my dead straight thick hair does have one errant curly hair - I think it's called frizz).

2) Eating your carrots will help you see in the dark (sure, so long as I can get my night vision goggles in my glasses prescription strength).

3) Eating spinach makes you strong (well, I guess if it worked for Popeye - But I still refuse to smoke a pipe!).

4) Broccoli is just little trees (well, do you see me knawing on the tree trunk outside????).

I'm sure there were more, but these are the ones that really stick in my mind. Mum should be proud that here I am, nearly 30 and finally eating my greens voluntarily. She must have done something right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the pumpkin, lambs fry and steak and kidney????? Never liked that either, did we???????

Brissiemum2 said...

Oh don't get me started on pumpkin - my vegetable of hate while growing up.

And let's not forget the 'starving children in Africa would love that meal' line! Ahhhh, yep, well pack it up and send it to them was always my response! Lol!

The Cats Mother said...

Yeah well, steak and kidney and lambs fry - urgh!!! You still won't get me to eat it and I don't care what you say. But who has been eating her pumpkin and loving it in recent years?!

And the starving children in Africa line was always a classic. I think Nanna used that one on me several times!