Monday, August 18, 2008

It's Not Stalking If You Have A Key...... And Other Fond Obsessions!

I don't know what made me think of it, but today whilst doing some more unpacking (that nasty beast) something made me think about a wonderful attitude towards obsession that an old friend of mine holds dear (a little too closely in my opinion).

Said friend is an avid Brisbane Lions supporter. She holds season tickets and never misses a home game - rain, hail or shine. She organises her entire social calender around the football season. She also worships the ground a certain player walks on. To the point that a discussion one evening after several beverages turned to the fact that her favourite player shopped in the same supermarket she used to work in. It eventuated that someone working within the store actually knew where this certain player lived. What then followed was a lively argument regarding the pros and cons of visiting his lovely abode.

This is where the word stalker first entered the discussion and the fact that only a stalker would turn up at player's house uninvited. After pondering this fact, my friend then delivered a gem of a thought. "It's not stalking if you have a key". I'm not sure where she intended to get a key (all part of my "but officer, I didn't know she got a key made" defence), however it has remained imbedded in my memory and cropped up in several drinking topics over the following years.

Ok, getting off topic slightly. After surveying my room after unpacking more boxes today, I felt the need to be ashamed (I wasn't though to be honest, even though I probably should have been). Very ashamed. I can't believe how much disney stuff I have. And it occured to me, I think I may be obsessed. I am way too close to thirty for comfort (I intend to stay 29 forever!!!) and am a disney obsessed freak. I wonder if it is normal to be my age and so enthralled by all things disney. I am, however, slightly comforted by the fact that my soon-to-be SIL is just as obsessed by disney as I am. I'm not sure if that makes it ok, or if it makes us both freaks (my poor brother though, he lived through my disney obsession and now he's moved in with another. He must have killed a muppet in a former life!).

Is it just me or are there unacceptable obsessions to have at certain ages??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It shows that you are a perfectly normal person. We all have our obsessions - mine is collecting old china jugs etc. Hey, scary about the old friend's obsession though!

Maybe it wasn't a Muppet that your bro killed in a former life - I think he trashed his Transformers.

The Cats Mother said...

Actually I think you'll find little brother flushed his transformers down the toilet - along with lots of other childhood toys.

And I know you collect china and antiques. I shoved them to the side of the cabinet to make way for my disney collection!!!!