Friday, August 1, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring, My Old Man Is Snoring!!!!

Last night, I had a peculiar encounter upon going to bed. I turned all of the house heaters off, all lights out and climbed into my lovely, cosy bed (with brand new fluffly doonas no less). I had just done the "snuggle down" dance and got lovely and comfy and was starting to drift off and I heard the weirdest noise. I laid in bed and listened for a few minutes trying to locate it's source. I realised sleep wasn't coming until I found out what it was as I was certain the sound was the one of the heaters running, even though I had switched them off (yes I thought the heating gremlins had turned them back on behind me - or two very clever cats).

No, both heaters definately off. Checked the fridge for anything abnormal - all ok. Here I am, the middle of the night, tip-toeing around the house in pj's and unable to find where the noise was coming from. After 5 minutes, I gave up and went back to bed determined to ignore it and go to bed. However it was not to be - the noise persisted and sleep refused to come.

For whatever reason I then heard a heavy, dripping sound on the wooden path just up from my window and it dawned on me - it was raining. Not drizzling, not showering but full-on pelt it down raining. I am adamant to this moment that rain here in Tasmania sounds different to rain in Queensland. You might not believe me (even Mum and Dad did not think it possible) but it really sounds lighter and softer here, but you know it's throwing it down.

After discussions around the breakfast table this morning as to why it sounded different (apparently when you don't have a tin roof, it will sound different anywhere in the world) I still stand by my conviction that the further north and south you travel on earth the rain falls lighter!!! That or this cold weather has finally gone to my head (someone in my household told me that perhaps living in a higher altitude has got to me - nuh uh!!!)

Today's snow report - couldn't see snow for rain but I was assured on the news report tonight that six lifts will be open tomorrow. Swoosh!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I found my Take That cd's today - aaah, it so takes me back to senior year!!! Hard to believe I used to be a teeny bopper!!!

No comments: